Apply for the 2017 UWI Open Scholarship
The 2017 annual UWI Open Scholarship is one of Jamaica’s most lucrative scholarship opportunity for first-year students. The Open Scholarship is now open to qualified applicants. The Scholarship program is now open to new UWI students throughout the Caribbean until a deadline of April 28, 2017.
About the UWI Open scholarship
The UWI Open Scholarship is one of the ways that The University of the West Indies seeks to attract and reward all-round high achievers among the region’s high school students, community and state college graduates and first-year students of The UWI.
Over 50 scholarships are available for study at any of The UWI’s four campuses.
Who can apply?
You are eligible for The UWI Open Scholarship if you:
- Are a first time applicant of any UWI undergraduate degree programme offered at any campus. (Applicants must not already be holders of an undergraduate degree.)
- Have gained at least 5 subjects at the Caribbean Examinations Council (CSEC) level including Mathematics and English A with Grades 1 or 2; at least 6 Units of CAPE including Communication Studies and Caribbean Studies, at the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) Units l and/or ll; or equivalent at GCE O / A Levels with grades 1 or 2.
- Have completed an associate degree from a community or state college with a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.6 and have applied to or are in the process of applying to The UWI.
- Have completed the first year of a UWI undergraduate degree programme with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.6.
- Are a citizen of one of The UWI’s contributing countries (proof of citizenship will be required).
Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, Montserrat, St. Kitts & Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos
What does the UWI Open scholarship cover?
The UWI Open Scholarship is literally a FULL scholarship and as said before one of, if not the most lucrative local scholarship program. The Scholarship award covers the cost of tuition, residence costs (on/off campus) and contributions to books and meals.
Note: Nationals of Barbados and Trinidad & Tobago will only receive support for maintenance costs. Maintenance costs will be linked to costs listed in the relevant campus Financial Information Booklets. This information is available on each campus website.
How to apply?
- Complete the online application form.
- Supporting documents can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: ‘The UWI OPEN SCHOLARSHIP’.
The supporting documents include;
- A 500-word personal essay outlining career aspirations, reason for choice of degree programme, community involvement and co-curricular activities.
- Evidence of leadership positions at school, university and/or within the wider community; community involvement; and co-curricular activities.
- Two letters of reference – one of which must come from an academic referee attesting to the applicant’s academic ability and potential, demonstrated leadership qualities, and character. (Referees must have known the applicant for at least two years. All referees must affix the official stamp of their office/department/organization).
- Note: It is the responsibility of the applicants to ensure that letters of reference are received in sealed envelopes and submitted to the Office of the Board for Undergraduate Studies with the other supporting documents by the deadline date.
The deadline for the 2017 UWI Open Scholarship applications is Friday, April 28, 2017. The COMPLETED online application form and ALL supporting documents MUST be submitted by this date.
ONLY SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL BE CONTACTED.
Need assistance or more information?
The Office of the Board of Undergraduate Studies
Telephone: (876) 977-7916 or (876) 970-0244