The following is a Scholarship from the Ministry Of Education target to local student teachers perusing studies as a future teacher and open to all local universities and colleges. however, this award is OPEN ONLY to students of the University of the West Indies. The Annual Jamaica Scholarship will be administered by the Tertiary Unit of the Ministry of Education for the 2022/2023 academic year.
All Awards of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Information are offered to Teachers/Students desirous of pursuing higher education. To view other information on the full list of scholarships, you can download and read their Scholarship Bulletin 2022/2023.
The following are the classification of this year’s Annual Jamaica Scholarships programme through the Ministry of Education and open ONLY to UWI students.
- Jamaica Scholarships (Male & Female)
- Jamaica Independence (Male & Female)
- Jamaica Independence (Open)
- Jamaica Centenary Alternative years
- Jamaica Adult Suffrage (Open)
COURSE: Any First Degree
TENURE: Three (3) to five (5) years
TENABLE: At the University of the West Indies
AGE LIMIT: No older than 19 years on June 1 of the year of the qualifying
exam (i.e. Cambridge ‘A’ Levels or C.A.P.E.)
VALUE: Covers tuition fees, Maintenance and Book Allowance
ELIGIBILITY: Candidates should: be persons who (1) are sitting the C.A.P.E. or the Cambridge ‘A’ Level examination in at least three subjects and General Paper in June.
(2) i) was born in Jamaica or born overseas to parents who are Jamaican citizens or ii) have been naturalized as a Jamaican.
(3) Having met the requirement of (two) 2 above have resided in Jamaica for a period of at least five years immediately preceding the examination.
(4) In the case of the Jamaica Centenary Scholarship applicant (Male/Female) must submit a certificate showing that he/she has attended a public primary school
(Infant school excluded) for at least three years. The 2015/2016 awardee will be a female.
Conditions of the Jamaica Scholarships
Successful candidates will be bonded to work in Jamaica for a period not exceeding five (5) years.
The scholarship award is valid for the academic year immediately following the offer of the award and cannot be deferred for any reason.