The Ministry of Education, Youth and Information in collaboration with the University of Technology, Jamaica are inviting and offering prospective teachers who are qualified applicants to apply for the annual full-tuition MOEYI Teachers scholarships. This MOEYI Teachers scholarships programme is offering a whopping one hundred (100) Technical and Vocational Education Scholarships.
Qualified applicants will win these scholarships to pursue full scholarships at the University of Technology, Jamaica in Industrial Technology, OR Business Education OR Family and Consumer Studies.
Application Period: March 1 – June 30 annually
Value of the MOEYI Teachers Scholarships
The annual lucrative MOEYI Teachers Scholarships will cover:
- Full tuition for prospective teachers in Jamaica
- Support for boarding where needed
- A book grant of J$30,000 per academic year
To qualify, prospective teacher applicants should satisfy the following requirements:
- Have passes in CSEC Mathematics and English
- Have grades I and II at the CSEC or Levels I and II, CVQ or NVQJ, CAPE I and II. In the subject (s) you will be prepared to teach.
All successful applications should be accompanied by scanned certificates from the respective examination bodies. If successful you will be bonded for no less than five years and you will be required to sign an agreement authorizing deployment by the Ministry of Education upon completion. Awardees will be required to maintain a B average in order to retain the scholarship.
Submit applications for the annual MOEYI Teachers Scholarships to: email@example.com
For additional information, contact:
Nadine Anderson – 876.970.5423/5396/5403 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Ministry of Education, Youth & Information
The Ministry of Education (MoE) is the government entity responsible for the management and administration of public education in Jamaica. The Ministry of Education was first established in 1953, as the Ministry of Education and Social Welfare. Currently, the MoE carries out the Government of Jamaica’s mandate of ensuring a system which secures quality education and training of all citizens of Jamaica in order to optimise individual and national development.
The MoE provides the avenue for enrichment and upward mobility of our people though education. The organisation is one of Jamaica’s largest public entities and is comprised presently of 11 agencies, six Regional Offices, and a central office with approximately 40 units which fall under 5 divisions.
These unite to provide the framework for the efficient functioning of over 1,000 public educational institutions that serves over 100,000 students and over 20,000 teachers. The Ministry of Education is also responsible for two public universities and several community, multidisciplinary and teachers’ colleges.
Core Roles and Functions
The Ministry’s role of effectively managing the education system is accomplished through the execution of functions carried out by its divisions and agencies. Among these functions are:
- Planning, developing, and implementing educational policies and programmes
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of locally and internationally funded projects and programmes
- Maintaining an efficient system of collecting, collating, analyzing and presenting current and accurate data on quantifiable educational indicators to meet local demand and international standards
- Developing and supporting programmes, services and activities geared towards personal and national development
- Providing guidance in financial management for all educational institutions and affiliated agencies.