Clara Lionel Foundation Scholarships Program
The Clara Lionel Foundation scholarships has established a scholarship program to assist citizens or natives of Brazil, Barbados, Cuba, Haiti, Grenada, Guyana, or Jamaica who plan to continue their education in college in the United States.
The program is being run by Rihanna’s Clara Lionel Foundation scholarships, a nonprofit she founded in 2012 that “works to improve the quality of life for communities globally in the areas of health, education, arts and culture.” Rihanna’s past high-profile charity work includes a donation of $1.75 million to a Barbadian hospital for their oncology program and her collaboration with the makeup company MAC on the ongoing Viva Glam campaign, which raises money for people living with and affected by HIV and AIDS. According to the Clara Lionel Foundation Scholarships program, sales of the first Rihanna lipstick raised $60 million in 2013.
- 2018 Guidelines and Application in English – To be submitted electronically.
Eligibility for the Clara Lionel Foundation Scholarships
Applicants to the Clara Lionel Foundation Scholarships Program must be:
- A citizen or native of Brazil, Barbados, Cuba, Haiti, Grenada, Guyana, or Jamaica. Applicants must have been born in one of these countries. If selected as a finalist, you will need to provide a copy of your birth certificate.
- Eligible to study in the United States and been accepted to an accredited four-year college or university located in the United States. As part of your application, you will need to upload a copy of your acceptance letter.
- A first time college freshmen (with fewer than 12 college credits unless those credits were earned in high school) planning to enroll in full-time undergraduate study at an accredited four-year college or university for the entire 2016-2017 academic year.
- Eligible to receive funding per the Office of Foreign Assets Control.
No employee or consultant of the Clara Lionel Foundation (CLF) or Roc Nation, LLC, or any family member of such employee or consultant, is eligible to apply. No officer or director of the CLF, member of the Selection Committee, employee, consultant or family member of any officer, director, or member of the Selection Committee, is eligible to apply.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive an award ranging from $5,000 to $50,000 USD. Awards may be renewed for up to three additional years or until a bachelor’s degree is earned, whichever occurs first. Renewal is contingent upon satisfactory academic performance maintaining a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (or the equivalent) each semester. Awards are for undergraduate study only and may be used only for tuition expenses.
- Start by clicking Register to Apply. You will need to read and agree to a consent statement, supply a unique and valid email address, and create a username and password.
- Correspondence throughout the application process will be by email. Email messages will be sent to the username and email address registered when you created your account. Students failing to use a valid active email account that will accommodate bulk mail may not receive consideration. Be sure to add [email protected] to your contacts or address book and check your email regularly!
- Complete the Clara Lionel Foundation scholarship application by entering data in the format described. Proper punctuation and standard capitalization (Jill Smith, 10 Main Street, New York, NY) must be used.
- During the application process, you may leave the site prior to submission by clicking on the Save and Log out link located on each application page. To return to the application, you must login using your username and password.
- Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore answer all questions as completely as possible.
- Applications and all required documents must be submitted electronically by the deadline in order for your application to be processed.
- Once all application requirements are satisfied, the Lock and Submit button will be available to you near the bottom of the Review Application
- Carefully review your application before clicking the Lock and Submit Once submitted, you will no longer have access to your application.
- It is recommended that you print a hard copy of your application for your records.
- You will receive an email acknowledgment of your submitted application.
As part of your Clara Lionel Foundation scholarship application, you must upload the following documents to Scholarship Management Services by June:
- A current, complete transcript of grades. Grade reports are not accepted. Unofficial transcripts must display student name, school name, grades and credit hours for each course and term in which each course was taken.
- A completed Applicant Appraisal Form (click to view and print the form).
- A copy of the acceptance letter from the accredited four-year college or university you will be attending in the United States.
- Your application is not complete unless all required documents are submitted electronically.
Your application must be submitted by June 10 annually by 1:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time.
Selection of Finalists
Scholarship finalists are selected on the basis of academic performance, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, work experience, a statement of educational goals and objectives, unusual personal or family circumstances and an outside appraisal. Financial need is not considered.
Selection of finalists is made by Scholarship Management Services. In no instance does any officer or employee of Clara Lionel Foundation play a part in the selection of finalists. Once finalists are selected, a selection committee at Clara Lionel Foundation will determine recipients. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Applicants will be notified in late July. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as finalists or recipients. Students may reapply to the program each year they meet eligibility requirements.
Payment of the Clara Lionel Foundation Scholarships
Scholarship Management Services by Scholarshipamerica.org processes scholarship payments on behalf of Clara Lionel Foundation. Payment is made on September 1 in United States currency and mailed directly to the recipient’s educational institution in the United States.
Recipients have no obligation to Clara Lionel Foundation. They are, however, required to notify Scholarship Management Services of any changes in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information, and to send a complete official transcript when requested.
Clara Lionel Foundation reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Questions? Contact us:
Email: [email protected]
Call: 1-507-931-1682 and ask for the Clara Lionel Foundation Global Scholarship Program