Persons may download the National Youth Service (NYS Summer Jobs) application form at www.heart-nta.org or www.nysjamaica.org. Once completed, the form can be dropped off at any HEART Trust/NTA, Jamaica Foundation for Lifelong Learning or National Youth Service (NYS) office.
The National Youth Service (NYS)
The National Youth Service (NYS) was established in 1973, the NYS was re-launched in 1995 after a 12 year break amidst major concerns about the high level of youth unemployment, academic underachievement, the lack of training opportunities for young people and their escalating trend toward anti-social behaviour. The National Youth Service, therefore, aims to equip youths with the necessary life coping skills to foster their personal and career development as well as enhance their contribution to community and national development.
The Objectives of the National Youth Service
- To train youths within the 17 – 24 age cohort in practical services to serve as entry level staff in Public and Private sector organizations.
- To provide participants with employability skills training needed to function in the world of work
- To develop public and private sector partnerships in order to expand the reach of the NYS
- To train and develop staff in the requisite skills and competencies with view to enhance the process of contemporary management of programme delivery.
- To build and maintain robust relationships with the communities.
- To strengthen collaborative efforts between and among existing partners.
The NYS has committed its resources to the personal and professional development of Jamaican youth. Through its diverse programmes offerings, the organization trained Corps of young people as support personnel for schools, health facilities, business entities, the uniformed organizations and other public and private sector entities.
Consequently, the NYS manages a number of programmes including:
The Corps Programme
The NYS Corps programme combines training in specific career skills, re-socialization and work experience to develop positive attitudes and values among participants in the areas of self, work place, community and nation, as well as provide opportunities and orientation for their entrance into the labour force.
The National Summer Programme (NSP)
An annual programme that provides work experience to over 4,000 youths island-wide during the summer holiday.
The Financial Assistance Programme
The NYS has been training participants for over four decades and has accommodated participant possessing CXCs on both extremes. We offer financial assistance to participants of our corp programmes who are seeking to complete their tertiary education. See Other programmes and scholarships.