The Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) Education Grant Assists Tertiary Students
The Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission (BGLC) announces that tertiary students may now apply for the BGLC Education Grants and scholarships for academic year 2018-2019.
Applications for the cash grant, which is paid towards tuition costs, are accepted from students
just entering or those continuing to the next year of their studies at a tertiary institution in
More than 250 students have benefited from The Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission Education Fund since it was launched in 2015. The initiative is a part of the gaming regulatory body’s corporate social responsibility program focusing on education and community development.
“At the BGLC we understand the challenges that many students face with meeting the costs of
their education, and so we implemented this programme to provide some assistance and
encouragement for them to pursue their higher education goals,” said Jeanette Lewis, Manager,
Corporate Affairs and Communications at the betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission. “Our commitment to supporting tertiary students does not end with the financial support. Every year we also provide internship opportunities for students who are studying subjects that are relevant to the Commission’s work so that they can also gain practical experience in their area of study.”
Details about the BGLC Education Grant including application requirements and forms are
available for download at the Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission’s website at www.bglc.gov.jm. The application deadline is mid-July 2018.
For more information contact:
Coordinator – BGLC Education Grant
+1 876 620 1353 | firstname.lastname@example.org
About The The Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission
The Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission is headed by a Chairman and five (5) other Commissioners, all appointed by the Minister of Finance. The Commission’s day to day functions are conducted through three operational divisions and four (4) support divisions. Their three (3) operational divisions are:
- Licensing and Registration Division;
- Compliance and Regulatory Division;
- Enforcement Division.
The Betting Gaming and Lotteries Commission also has four (4) support divisions, which are:
- Corporate Division, which houses the Executive Director’s office; the Legal Services Department; Communications and Research Department; and Internal Audit
- Human Resources and Administration Division
- Finance and Accounts Division
- Information, Communications and Technology Division
The Commission is required under the Betting Gaming and Lotteries Act (BGLA) to perform the following functions:
- Regulate and control the operation of betting and gaming and the conduct of lotteries throughout the Island. The Commission presently supervises the conduct of bookmaking operations, the betting activities of the Racing Promoter and the conduct of lotteries by the Lottery Operator;
- examine problems relating to the operation of betting and gaming and the conduct of lotteries in the island;
- Inform, advise and make recommendations to the Minister of Finance & Planning on matters pertaining to his functions under the Betting Gaming and Lotteries Act (BGLA);
- Conduct surveys and investigations for the purpose of obtaining information useful to the Commission in the execution of its function;
- The Commission shall, subject to the Act, have the power to do all such things as are in its opinion necessary to, or conducive to, the proper discharge of its functions.
- Supervise the operations of all its licensees to ensure that their operations are carried out within the law.