Faculty of Law Scholarships and Bursaries
The faculty of Law at the University of the West Indies is one of the most prestigious law faculty [see law scholarships below] in the region. The Faculty of Law was established at The University of West Indies in 1970. Its primary objective is to provide an academic qualification which is compulsory prerequisite to professional legal training for lawyers in the Commonwealth Caribbean.
However, the traditional basic legal skills of concise and pertinent oral argument, systematic and relevant presentation of essential issues, clarity and precision of written options and detached and balanced judgment are also useful and reliable skills for other professions such as the Civil and Police Service, Accountancy, Banking and Commerce.
The UWI Law Scholarships are offered annually to new and enrolled students in the faculty of Law at all University of the West Indies campuses.
The Faculty of Law offers an undergraduate programme as well as graduate programmes. The LLB programme is run over a 3 year period for full-time students and 5-6 years for part-time students. Since September 2009, Years 1, 2 and 3 of the programme have been offered at the Mona Campus.
A student is generally required to complete each Year successfully before being allowed to enroll for the year following. However, very limited trailing is permitted into Years 2 and 3 of the programme.
The Law degree offered by the Faculty of Law is the LLB which may be obtained with UWI Law Scholarships and you can be awarded a degree in the following categories:
- First Class Honours (GPA 3.60 and above)
- Upper Second Class Honours (GPA 3.00 – 3.59)
- Lower Second Class Honours (GPA 2.50 – 2.99)
- Pass (GPA 2.00 – 2.49)
Entry into the legal profession of Commonwealth Caribbean countries is regulated by the law of the particular state. However, due to a regional agreement the basic requirements tend to follow a common pattern.
A Legal Education Certificate is normally required by a prospective lawyer. This is granted by the (West Indian) Council of Legal Education to a student who successfully completes a two-year course of full time study at one of the Council’s three Law schools in Jamaica, Trinidad or the Bahamas.
Entry into a Law School will normally be granted to any holder of the U.W.I. LL.B. degree. Applicants with degrees from other universities are required to sit an entrance examination which is held in July of the entrance year.
The application deadline is July 31 of the proposed year of study and both admission and UWI Law Scholarships application forms may be obtained from the Law schools.
The following are the current available Law Scholarships offered by the University of the West Indies. Click each for application forms:
- The Dennis Cohen Law Scholarship – JM$300,000
- Jackie Sharp Law Scholarship – JM$300,000
- The Mill Reef Law Scholarship Programme – US$16,000
- AFUWI Scholarships
- Ambassador Sue Cobb Scholarship
- Anya Schnoor Scholarship– For Jamaican Students studying at St. Augustine
- Bernie & Ramona Benson Scholarship
- Bogle’s Grant
- Burchell E. Brown Memorial Bursary
- CB/UWI 5K Scholarship
- Chinese Ambassador’s Scholarship
- Dorcas Veronica Brown Scholarship
- Dr. Keith Peart Memorial Scholarship for Students with Special Needs
- Dunncox Scholarship
- Enid Jones- Forrester Memorial Student Grant
- Frank L. Myers Scholarship
- Guild Part Time Assistance (P.T.A.) Grant
- Hastings Needy Students Grant
- Jamaica College- Mona Heights Scholarship-May 2020
- Jamaica Police Cooperative Credit Union
- Mae Mercer Scholarship
- Lainey’s Education Grant
- Mill Reef Education Grant
- Oliver Clarke Mentees’ Scholarship
- Patrick & Melainee Logan Memorial Bursary
- Principal’s Scholarship for Excellence
- Siberia Foundation Scholarship (Irvine Hall)
- Tastee Scholarship for Law
- The New Fortress Energy Scholarship
- UWI (Mona)& Community Co-op/Ezra Lewis Memorial Scholarship
- UWI Academic Bursaries
- UWI Bookshop Textbook Grant for Students
- UWI PJ Patterson Inter-Campus Movement Scholarship
- UWI Toronto Gala– DEADLINE:July 31, 2020
- UWI Visa Card Scholarship
- UWIDEF Bursary for the Performing Arts
- UWIDEF Undergraduate Scholarships
- WIGUT Bursaries
Faculty of Law Academic Year Scholarships Guidelines
The following are general guidelines regarding Law Scholarships and Bursaries available for the academic year 2017/2018:
- Applications open WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 1
- The deadline date to apply for all awards (unless otherwise stated) is MAY
- In order to be considered for any award, a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (B average) is expected. Some awards may require a higher GPA.
- The awards are available to full-time undergraduate students of the University of the West Indies (unless otherwise stipulated).
- The applicant should only apply for scholarships/bursaries for which the prescribed criteria are met as indicated on each terms of award.
- The required status as indicated on each term of award is as at the academic year 2017/2018. For example, if the criteria states “must be in level II”, the applicant is expected to be enrolled in level II in the 2017/2018 academic year.
- Students must complete (LEGIBLY), one application form. Please list the awards for which you wish to be considered in order of preference.
- The completed application form should be submitted to the Office of Student Financing, UWI, Mona Campus.
- (N.B. Incomplete application forms will not be collected.)