2018 Fulbright Scholarship Program (LASPAU)
Fulbright LASPAU Faculty Development Program – Applications will be accepted from February 9, 2018 to the deadline of Thursday, May 31, 2018.
The Fulbright LASPAU Faculty Development Program awards scholarships to lecturers at tertiary level institutions in Jamaica.
A wide range of fields of study are included, with the exception of law, medicine, nursing and dentistry. Persons with “green cards” (alien registration cards) or are resident in the United States of America, or have previously received a Fulbright Grant are not eligible to apply for these awards.
Here is a general flyer about the (LASPAU) Fulbright Faculty Development Program.
- First-class honors or upper-second class honors Bachelor’s degree
- Must be a Jamaican citizen currently residing in Jamaica
- Must have a commitment to tertiary level lecturing
- Must be supported by nomination for the program by the applicant’s tertiary institution
- Recipients should plan to return to Jamaica on completion of their studies in the U.S.A. and contribute to the institutional strengthening and knowledge base of local tertiary institutions.
- J1 Exchange visa
- Airline travel to and from the United States of America
- Tuition assistance in the form of a scholarship or assistantship is provided by the host university*
- A monthly stipend
- A monthly book allowance
- Health insurance (basic coverage)
*Tuition assistance does not apply to business, law, architecture, the arts, graphic design, and public policy. Grantees who wish to pursue degree programs in the aforementioned fields should be prepared to cover at least 50% of their tuition costs using personal funds or other resources.
This year the Latin American Scholarship Program of American Universities (LASPAU) is using a new application platform. Before filling out the application, all candidates will be asked to fill out a Fulbright Applicant Information Form. Once they have completed the form, they will receive an email with a direct link to the Fulbright application.
Supporting documents should be uploaded electronically straight to the online application. These documents include: CV, Statement of Purpose, Transcripts, Passport Identification Page, two letters of Recommendation and the Nominating Institution Verification form. Please note that electronic recommendation letter submission is convenient and this process allows only program administrators to view such letters. The recommendation letter must be confidential and if submitted as a hardcopy, address the letter to:
The Public Affairs Officer
Public Affairs Section
142 Old Hope Road
Re: Fulbright LASPAU Faculty Development Program
Please read the Checklist of Required Academic Documents which outlines these requirements in greater detail.
First published on the United States Embassy Jamaica Website