FOUR University of Technology, Jamaica (UTech) students currently pursuing bachelor’s degrees in nursing at the Caribbean School of Nursing, College of Health Sciences have received US$2,000 worth of scholarship from the Jamaica Nurses Association of Florida (JNAF).
Final-year student Britiena Brown (second left); second-year student Aliandra Carnagie (third left); third-year student Ramone Young (third right); and Jadaine Benjamin, also a final-year student, were presented with a US$500 award each by university President Dr Kevin Brown on behalf of the JNAF during a handing over session at the Papine campus on November 27. Also on hand to congratulate the scholarship recipients were Dr Adella Campbell (left), dean, College of Health Sciences, and Pauline Madourie (right), UTech, Jamaica scholarship officer.
The JNAF, establish 40 years ago, consists of nurses within the diaspora, some of whom are UTech and College of Arts, Science and Technology (now Utech) alumni and who continue to work closely with the university. As part of its commitment to serving communities and the underserved, the non-profit organization disburses annual scholarships to nursing students in Jamaica.
There are many reasons why you should consider applying for a scholarship with the Jamaica Nurses’ Association of Florida,Inc. (JNAF)
- Financial Support: Scholarships can help ease the financial burden of pursuing higher education by providing financial support for tuition, books, and other educational expenses.
- Networking Opportunities: By being a part of the Jamaica Nurses’ Association of Florida, you will have the opportunity to network with other professionals in your field. This can help you make valuable connections and potentially lead to job opportunities or mentorship.
- Professional Development: The Jamaica Nurses Association of Florida offers various programs and events to help members develop their professional skills and knowledge. By being a scholarship recipient, you can access these opportunities and further your growth in your field.
- Community Involvement: By receiving a scholarship from the Jamaica Nurses’ Association of Florida, you are also becoming part of a community that is committed to promoting diversity and equity in the nursing profession. This can give you a sense of belonging and fulfillment knowing that you are contributing to a greater cause.
- Recognition and Achievement: Receiving a scholarship from the Jamaica Nurses’ Association of Florida can be a source of recognition and achievement. It can help you stand out in your academic or professional pursuits and serve as a point of pride for you and your family.
Overall, applying for a scholarship with the Jamaica Nurses Association of Florida can bring a wide range of benefits that can help you achieve your academic and professional goals.
- DEADLINE EXTENDED: Apply for 2024 Marcus Garvey Public Sector Graduate Scholarship
- David Wagga Hunt Foundation disburses $30M in scholarship to Calabar and KC
- Apply to Study in Turkiye with a Turkiye Scholarship Programme
- CCRIF SPC 2024 Postgraduate Scholarship Programme Guidelines
- Apply for the CCRIF UWI Undergraduate Scholarship Programme
- CCRIF-UWI Undergraduate and CCRIF SPC Postgraduate Scholarship Programme
The JNAF Criteria for Scholarship
The Jamaica Nurses’ Association of Florida, Inc. (JNAF) intends to award scholarship(s) annually in the amount(s) of $1000 to resident (s) of the United States or the Caribbean. The organization will award scholarship(s) based on the following criteria:
- Applicant must be actively enrolled in a three or four year community college or university,
and are seeking their first diploma/degree.
- Applicant must have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or more or equivalent evaluations in accordance with the system used by the applicant’s college or university. A copy of the applicant’s most recent transcript must be sent with the application.
- Applicant is requested to set forth his/her future objectives and goals in a brief letter (typed letter not to exceed 500 words), explaining why he/she is in need of assistance.
- Applicant must be recommended to the organization’s scholarship committee and each applicant will be required to provide at least two (2) references, one of which must be a member of the faculty of the applicant’s college or university.
- The scholarship(s) shall not exceed $1000 and will be awarded in one payment and is/are not renewable.
- The organization may decide to select more than one recipient in which case the scholarship funds will be awarded in equal amounts to the recipients and the total may not exceed $1000 to each recipient
- The organization’s scholarship committee and President will determine the recipients of the organization’s scholarship.
- Application(s) and required documents must be received by the last week of October each year. Scholarships will be used to pay tuition and in some cases other academic expenses such as books and supplies.
- The scholarships will be gifts not loans. Repayment is not expected except in cases of poor academic performance during the academic year for which the scholarship was awarded.
- Recipients of the scholarship are not eligible to receive future awards.
- Members of the Board of Directors and officers of the organization and their families are not eligible for the scholarship award.
Scholarship(s) will be awarded on the above criteria, without consideration of race, religion, citizenship or gender. Within approximately sixty (60) – ninety (90) days following the end of the academic year for which the scholarship was awarded the recipient will be required to furnish the organization a copy of the recipient’s transcript for the academic year. If the recipient’s GPA is below 3.0 he/she will be required to forfeit the scholarship award and return the amount of the award to the organization.
Deadline for returning Application for the Jamaica Nurses Association of Florida (JNAF) is October of each year
Source: UTech nursing students receive scholarships from Jamaica Nurses Association of Florida | Jamaica Observer.com